Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Monday, November 15, 2010

Waiting

How many hours of our lives have we spent waiting in line for something that we needed or that we really, really wanted? 


I have waited in line at the grocery store and the pharmacy.  I have waited in line at the gas pump and at restaurants.  I have waited in line for hours and hours for concert tickets and amusement park rides.  I have even waited in line for over two hours to get a good seat at a movie that I already had tickets for! 

Why do we spend all of this time waiting in line?  Because, at the end of that line, there is something that is so important or beneficial to us that we feel it is worth the wait.  But, are we happy waiting?   Of course not!  Do we grow tired and weary as we wait?  Sure we do.  In a society where we are spoiled to having everything in an instant…from cash to oatmeal…we have been programmed for impatience!
  Waiting is just not in our vocabulary.

This is even true when it comes to seeking God.  When we ask for something, we expect Him to answer immediately.  We want “Same Day Service”.  We want in the
"Express Request Lane”. We want to call the “Instant Access Line”.
We want to shop at the “Quick-Stop of God”.  
 
 
 We refuse to have to wait on Him to answer us. One night, as I prayed, desperately seeking His face about a situation in my life (and getting a little impatient), I asked God to please show me the answer. He showed me, alright!  He gave me a dream about waiting in lines.  He showed me that waiting on Him is like waiting in that line for something you REALLY want…something you are willing to spend an entire day waiting outside in the elements (in a line as long as the eye can see for…let's say...  Garth Brooks tickets...yes, I did that, too) for.  God re-emphasized with me that something worth having is always worth waiting for!
 
The scripture I woke up with the next morning was Isaiah 40:31…
 
 
“But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength.
They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” 
 
I asked for an answer and He sure gave me one…"WAIT"!  So as I waited for His perfect answer, I had peace about things because I know he heard my prayers…and I knew that He was going to answer in HIS TIME!!! 

“Have you never heard or understood? Don't you know that the LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth? He never grows faint or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; he offers strength to the weak.  Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up.  But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:28-31 NLT

No comments: