Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Friday, November 19, 2010

But He Knew Their Thougnts

Did your boss make you mad or upset today?  Did you think of all kinds of horrible things to say to him (or her)? Or maybe you imagined some terrible thing that could happen to them?  What if the rude sales associate at the store knew what you were “saying” to her in your mind?   What about your wife or husband?  What if they knew what you were REALLY thinking?  How embarrassing and destructive it would be if people knew our true thoughts.  Fortunately for us, there’s no one with super powers that can hear your thoughts, right?  

Wrong.  The psalmist wrote in Psalm 139 “O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.”   Oops!  Someone does hear our thoughts. 

In the New Testament, there are many scriptures showing that Jesus could read the thoughts of those around him… 

*Matthew  9:4 - Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?
*Matthew - Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.
*Luke 9:47 - Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him.
*Luke 6:8 - But he knew their thoughts, and said to the man which had the withered hand, Rise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth.

These words should most definitely help us understand the power Jesus had when he was here on this Earth…but what about now?  God is omniscient. This means He has complete and unlimited knowledge, awareness, and understanding and He perceives ALL things. Omniscience is not restricted to any one person in the Godhead  - Father, Son or Holy Spirit – they are ALL by nature omniscient.  Therefore, Jesus is still hearing our thoughts as He sits at the right hand of God interceding for us. (Romans 8:34) 

Just ponder on this a moment…We have no problem believing that Jesus hears us when we pray in our minds (not using audible words)…so why would we not realize that He knows EVERY thought, not just those directed at Him?  This was an “Aha” moment for me.  I was reading Luke chapter 6 and verse 8 hit me like a ton of bricks!  “But he knew their thoughts…” 

I work so very hard to control what comes out of my mouth.  The things I speak can be heard, not only by the people around me, but by the demons that are stalking me trying to trip me up!  But my thoughts, I wanted to believe they were mine alone. This just isn’t true.  God knows my every thought. Hebrews says “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” And those thoughts are in my heart and in my mind.  Proverbs says “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”  Out of our hearts come the thoughts, from the thoughts come the words and deeds. 

The only way to control my sinful self is to hide God’s word in my heart so that I might not sin against Him.  Controlling our thoughts is a very difficult, but not impossible thing to do.  Hebrews tells us “the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”

God’s word is the ONLY thing that can control our thought life.  Never forget, someone does hear your thoughts!  But, PRAISE GOD, He also hears our prayers!  Ask Jesus to help you control your thoughts so that every part of your being will be pleasing to Him today! 


No comments: