Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Definition of Love: The Story Behind the Song

My son, Cody, proposed to his beautiful girlfriend, Rebekah, in January 2011.   After they announced their upcoming nuptials, they told me that they wanted me to sing at their wedding (which was originally supposed to be May 2012).  And not just any song, they wanted me to WRITE a song just for them. No pressure!  A year and a half should be plenty of time to be inspired, right? 

Actually, I had not ever written a “commissioned” song before. The Lord had always just given me words and music whenever He felt like it.  I was a little stressed thinking about it because now I had to write a song with a deadline!  What was even more stressful was that they changed the wedding date to September 2011 – 8 months less time for me!!!

Over the course of the next six months, I tried to come up with a song that was special enough for their BIG DAY!  Finally, one night in June, I was home alone and was determined that I was going to write this song even if I had to stay up all night!  As I sat on my bed, I began to think, “What did I want my son to hear on one of the most important days of his life??  What marriage advice could I impart to them on their big day?”  As I racked my brain about what I could say, it hit me!  It didn’t matter what I had to say, it only mattered what the Lord had to say!  His advice was way better than mine! 

So I turned to the “LOVE” chapter in the bible, 1 Corinthians 13.  According to God’s word, what was the definition of love?  1 Corinthians 13:4-8 NIV “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.”

And that is where the song “The Definition of Love” came from!  I added a chorus based on typical marriage vows and “BOOM” the song was done (I even got the melody that night, too and I didn’t even have to stay up all night!!!)  

Fortunately for me, the Lord placed an amazingly talented musician, Jason Grant, in my path that could hear exactly what I was hearing in my head for the music!  The original recording that we used for the wedding is what we used on the actual CD.

The wedding turned out beautiful…and so did the song!  Cody and Rebekah loved it…and I hope that you do to!

No comments: