Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Friday, September 21, 2012

WHAT WE REALLY NEED: The Story Behind the Song

As I was preparing for one of our monthly ladies ministry meetings, I was pondering the topic that we were going to be studying for that month:  The Promise of Provision.   The Lord had been giving me a new song each month and I was praying for another one! My goal for this month’s song was to show that what we need and what we want are two different things. I began to think about the things that we need in order to live...of course there are the basics of food, water, clothing and shelter. Then there are the things we “think” we need…make-up, pedicures, manicures, hair-do’s, new clothes, new shoes, new cars, bigger houses…you fill in the blank.

As a songwriter (I think I can call myself that now?) I have learned to write about what I know.  Well, at that very moment, I knew I needed a dye job in a BAD way…my gray was shining.  And I knew that I had gotten my toes painted this really pretty teal color, but it did not really go with any of my shoes…and so from that thought process the first verse of “What We Really Need” was formed!  I wanted to show how silly we are with what WE think that our “needs” are. 

Now the second verse did not go the way I imagined that it would…the Lord took it to a different level.  Opposite from the first verse that showed how silly we are with our wants (that we insist are needs), the second verse shows that some people REALLY do need new hairdos, shoes, cars and houses…but for reasons beyond their control.  The woman fighting breast cancer and taking chemo does NEED hair, the homeless girl on the street does NEED new shoes, the old man that lost his home in a hurricane does NEED a new house, and the man whose wife left him for another man and took everything he had does NEED a new car…but are all those “things” what they REALLY need? 

The Lord showed me that no matter what situation we are in, FIRST we need Him.  Those worldly things will not mean anything if we do not have Him.  HE is our healer, HE is our provider, our rescuer, our comforter…we are to seek HIM first!  He gave us great advice on this subject in Matthew 6:25-33…

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in his entire splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

If we trust in Him, He will take care of ALL of our needs. The chorus of the song is this…”If you take a look around you’ll see that what you want and “think” you need will never be enough to satisfy.  The only way to find contentment in a world that’s so self-centered is to see beyond yourself and realize, that what you REALLY need is Him.”

I never intended for this song to be recorded! I definitely never even considered it for my CD!  But on the way to practice the night before we started recording, the Lord impressed upon me to put it on there.  When I originally sang it, I did it very slow.  But He changed that, too!  By the time I added the voice to the music, it had a Calypso beat complete with Bongos and a Ukulele!!!   It is a fun song that we had a great time recording.  (I even got to play the Bongos (thank you to Eli Hunt for the quick lesson!), listen for me at the very end!)   Even though the second verse deals with some sad situations, He wants you to know…He is ALL you need and if you have Him, you will be HAPPY!!!   

I don’t know who you are…but Jesus included this song on my CD just for YOU!!  I pray that you are ministered to and forever changed by it.

No comments: