Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

HE CARES: The Story Behind the Song

One Sunday night we were sitting in church and discussing how best to minister to the youth of our area.  One lady spoke up and said that many of our teenagers struggle because their parents don’t care about them or want them.  Most of their rebellion comes from trying to get attention.  In a small quite whisper, I heard a little girl on the pew beside me say, “My mother didn’t want me.”  She never looked up from the picture she was drawing, so I wasn’t sure if that was what I had really heard her say.  After the service I asked her to repeat what she had said.  Again, she said, “My mother didn’t want me.”   Not knowing any details of her life, I said what God laid on my heart to say.  I told her that even though she didn’t live with her birth mother, God had placed her in our church full of mother’s that would always love her.  I told her she was very blessed to be where God had placed her… 

When I got home that evening, our conversation weighed so heavily on my heart.  God has placed her in our church.  It is our job to show her that He cares about her.  How many little girls and boys in this world feel like no one wants them; that no one loves them or cares about them?   Those same little girls and boys become teenagers and start to act out to get attention.  Will we love them, or send them away?  Those same teenagers become adults with abandonment issues that cannot cope with loss because they have had so much already.  Will we console them and comfort them, or will we ignore them? 

This is where my heart was when I wrote, “He Cares”.    In the song, there is a little girl, a teenage boy, a hurting wife and grieving man needing someone to care.  The chorus gives the answer, “But what they can’t see and what they don’t know…is that they have someone who loves them, more than they could ever know.  He feels all their pain, He holds all their tears, and He wants to be their Father, He wants them to know He cares.”

But who will show them that He cares?  We are supposed to be His hands and feet.           1 Corinthians 12:25-27 NIV – “…its parts should have equal concern for each other.   If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.  Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”  It is our job as the church to show them. The end of the song says, “WE have to tell them. WE have to show, that there is someone who loves them, more than they could ever know.  He will heal their pain, He’ll dry all their tears…and He will be their Father, He will be their Comforter, He will be their Everything…we’ve got to show them that He cares.” 


1Peter 5:6-7 NKJV – “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”

1 comment:

Connie Pinkham said...

May God bless your tender heart as He continues to use you !