Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Friday, October 5, 2012

LET ME: The Story Behind the Song

On one of the rare Saturdays that I was actually at home, I was doing housework and listening to music.  As I stood washing dishes, for some reason I became so burdened for the lost. (Perhaps it was a song that I was listening to on the radio...)  The burden for me was this: I KNEW there were lost people surrounding me every day, but what was I doing to lead them to Jesus? 

In my little world I come into contact with so many: my family, my church family, my co-workers, those I see at my job, the teenagers I work with at church, my Facebook friends, people at the grocery store…Do they ALL see Jesus in me?  Am I living my life in a way that shows them that Jesus loves them?

"Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers."  1 Tim 4:16

Then the question in my mind was: What if I’m the only Jesus that some of them ever see?  I began to cry and I didn’t stop all day.  Every word of the song “Let Me” was poured out with tears.


Our job as a child of God is to show the lost the way to Him.  That job is the difference between everlasting life (in Heaven) and everlasting death (in Hell) for those that we are supposed to witness to. How overwhelming!

If we don’t love others and show them the way to Jesus, who will?  This world has gone so wrong; there is darkness at every turn.  WE HAVE TO BE THE LIGHT! 

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:14-16

But without Jesus, we cannot do the job we are called to do. The chorus of the song was a prayer from my burdened heart that day, “Let me hear them with YOUR ears, see them with YOUR eyes, speak to them with YOUR words.  Let me love them with YOUR love, bring comfort with YOUR touch, let me show them who YOU are.”

We cannot pretend that lost people don’t exist, they are all around us.  As hard as it may seem to love some of them, we are CALLED, it is our MISSION, to show the love of Jesus and to reach lost souls for Him.  I still cry every time I sing the song.  But, I am so thankful that the Lord has burdened my heart for the lost. 


Who will reach them before it’s too late?  My prayer is that we will all cry, “Let Me”!


"And then he told them, "Go into all the world and preach the
 Good News to everyone." Mark 16:15 NLT

No comments: