Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Repress



Repress = to hold back; stop. 

When I think of the word “repress” I think of the term “repressed memories.”  (Again, I am pulling from my vast knowledge that I have gained from the University of Television)   Repressed memory is a condition where a memory has been unconsciously blocked by an individual." Basically, the memory is “held back.” It isn’t gone, it's just in the brain not being used at the moment.

So what can we gather from this word that the Lord
 placed in my mind?? 

Sometimes, we as Christians tend to REPRESS things.  When we first have our salvation experience, we are filled with joy and on fire!  We want to tell everyone we meet about Jesus and what He did for us.
  



  But as time goes on and life gets in the way, we tend to either hold back or stop completely.    If too much time passes and we don’t stay in the Word, we can even "repress" the memory of that experience and forget about the joy.

That happened to King David.  He loved the Lord with all of his heart, but he let life get in the way. He let sin get in the way.  But restoration is possible!  We can ask the Lord to bring to mind those repressed memories of the joy of salvation; those repressed desires to serve Him and tell others about Him.  David prayed that prayer in Psalm 51.    

“Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 
  Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you.”
Psalm 51:12-13

What is repressing you today?  What is holding you back or stopping you from serving the Lord?  Whatever it is, confess it, repent, and keep pressing forward!  We have work to do!!  


No comments: