Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I Am Not My Child's BFF

For some reason, my generation thinks that we should be our children's best friends instead of their parents.  I admit that it is a struggle for me.  My daughter is the one person in this world that is the most like me.  She thinks like me, acts like me and even looks like me.  I love hanging out with her.  We have the best time together! 

  But, God did not put me in the position of authority over her so that I could be her best friend.  I am her mother, and even though it kills me sometimes to do it, I have to say "no", I have to correct her and I have to punish her.  I have to train her to be a responsible adult.  I have to teach her and mold her into a strong Christian.   It is a huge responsibility.  

Watching some news clips yesterday, I was very shocked and saddened by Miley Cyrus' performance.   I felt really sick after I watched it.   I wondered how in the world little "Hanna Montana"  could produce such evil and disgusting behavior.   After a Google search this morning, I found this interview GQ did with her Dad in 2011.  Sadly, he saw all of this coming and felt powerless to stop it.

February 15, 2011, Billy Ray Cyrus did an interview for GQ magazine.  Here is an excerpt from that interview. 


“Billy Ray didn’t place all the blame on those currently in Miley’s life. There are also evil forces at work, he claimed. “Somewhere along this journey, both mine and Miley’s faith has been shaken,” he said. “That saddens me the most.”  

His family, Billy Ray argued, is now being ruined by Satan. “No doubt,” he insisted. “There’s no doubt about it.”  

And Billy Ray also held himself partially responsible for his daughter’s behavior. “How many interviews did I give and say, ‘You know what’s important between me and Miley is I try to be a friend to my kids’? I said it a lot,” he admitted. “And sometimes I would even read other parents might say, ‘You don’t need to be a friend, you need to be a parent.’ Well, I’m the first guy to say to them right now: You were right.” “I should have been a better parent. I should have said, ‘Enough is enough – it’s getting dangerous and somebody’s going to get hurt,’” he continued. “I should have, but I didn’t. Honestly, I didn’t know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere.”


Why did he feel so powerless?  Because his faith was not strong.  He admitted that his faith had been shaken.  I look around at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and I see the young people in our area saying and doing evil things.  Many times, I feel sick when I see the things they post.  Sadly, many of their parents know that they are doing them, but for some reason will not stop them.  They want to be the "friend" and not the parent.  

WHY??  Because that is exactly what satan wants.  He wants us to feel out of control.  He wants us to believe we are powerless.  He wants us to sit back and watch as our kids spiral out of control.   He loves the attitude, "We did it when we were young, kids will be kids." STOP IT!!!!!  Enough is enough!!!!!  Don't let satan have your child. You are NOT powerless.  The same power that raised Christ from the dead lives IN you.  

 Romans 8:11-12 NIV - And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.  Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation--but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it."

Let's be parents.  It's getting dangerous, and somebody is going to get hurt.  


No comments: