Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Monday, August 20, 2012

You Are Here: The Story Behind the Song

One morning, I was driving to work and for some reason I was thinking about the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”.  It is one of my favorite movies of all time.  In the movie, the main character, George Bailey, (after a series of events that leaves him hopeless) decides he wants to commit suicide because he feels like everyone, including his family, would be better off if he was dead. 

But God intervenes, and sends an angel down to show George what life would have been like if he had never been born.  He was shown how important his life really was to everyone that he came into contact with. If he had not been born, it would have altered the lives of everyone around him, and not in a good way.   

So I just began to write based on the emotions that George Bailey was feeling when he was at his lowest point, about to jump from that bridge.  I also began to think about other people that I know personally that felt like they couldn’t overcome their past mistakes.  So many times, I have heard people say, “This world would be better off without me”, or “I wish I had never been born”. 

The song, “You Are Here” was birthed from there.  We are surrounded by hurting and hopeless people.  They don’t realize that God never makes mistakes.  Every person that has ever been born and every baby that may not even make it out of the womb has a purpose.  I believe that with all of my heart.  

Part of the song says “You were formed in your mother’s womb by the hands of God.  There’s no one else in this world just like you.  Don’t you ever feel that you don’t have a purpose in this life; you are here because the Lord has plans for you.”   If you did not have a purpose, you would not be here.  It’s that simple.

I pray that this song renews hope, touches lives and opens hearts to the truth of why we are here.  He has great plans for each of us.  It’s up to us to figure out what they are. 

Psalm 139:13-16 NIV – “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

Psalm 138:8 NIV – “The LORD will fulfill [his purpose] for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever--do not abandon the works of your hands.”

Jeremiah29:11 NIV – “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

No comments: