Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Shelter: The Story Behind the Song

 In March 2012, we began a monthly Women’s Ministry called L.I.L.Y. (Ladies Influencing Ladies for You) Pad Ministries at our church.  The vision of the ministry was for ladies of our surrounding area to come together once a month to worship and be ministered to.  Our leader, Dorothy, had a desire to strengthen women in their faith so that they could, in turn, have an influence on those around them.

Months earlier, as she began to pray about this ministry, she had asked the Lord to bring her who she needed to fill each position.  When she started praying, we had never even met.  God brought my family to Calvary Baptist Church in February 2012.  Then He impressed upon both Dorothy and I that my part in the L.I.L.Y. Pad Ministry was to be the Worship Leader. 

As I was preparing for the first meeting, all I knew about the study was the title, “The Shelter of God’s Promises”, and a scripture Psalm 91.  I began to pray about what songs the Lord wanted me to lead and He started showing me a picture of a woman standing under an umbrella (I would later find out that the picture for the study was….a woman standing under an umbrella…goose bumps anyone?)   But instead of actual rain falling on her, it was the hopelessness, regret and shame of her past “raining” down on her.  And after reading Psalm 91, I began to write the theme song for the study:  Shelter.

It is a song that emphasizes every aspect of Psalm 91, but makes it relevant to every person that has ever felt like God couldn’t love them anymore.  In my own life I have felt that God couldn’t possibly use me after things I had done in my past.  The opening words of the song, “I am standing in the rain, of hopelessness, regret and shame, looking for a place of shelter in this storm”, is a place that I had been before and I knew others would relate to. 

“Shelter” is a song of hope.  Those who dwell in the shelter of the Most High will rest in His shadow and will be covered with His mighty wings.   What an amazing promise!!  I absolutely love singing this song.   It makes me feel so loved and protected!   When I hear the ladies of L.I.L.Y Pad singing this song at the top of their lungs…the words that God gave to me…well, I just cannot describe how amazing it is.  I get goose bumps every time, so I know the Holy Spirit is there with us when we sing.   I pray that you feel Him when you listen to the song!!     

No comments: