Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Separation Anxiety

Today is my daughter’s birthday.  It is so hard for me to believe that she is already 14.  It seems like yesterday that she was born.  She is so independent now, a far cry from when she was little.  For the first 10 years of her life, she was so attached to me she had trouble even going to school!  She was a Mama’s girl!  I used to tell people “she is sucking the life out of me!”  If I tried to focus on anything except her, she would take my face and turn it to her and MAKE me look at her.  She had to be the center of my world! One of the reasons we were so attached is because when she was about 2, I decided that I needed to stay home with her. Even when I started back to work part time, I took her with me.  She would be right up in the middle of the desk playing with the paperclips and calculator as I worked.  In third grade, she was even diagnosed with Separation Anxiety because she wouldn’t leave my side.  I prayed then that God would make her more independent, and boy did he answer that prayer!  Now she doesn’t even want to be seen with me and she could stay with her friends for days and not even miss me!  Now I’m the one with Separation Anxiety!  She only has time for me if she wants something.

Isn’t this how we are with the Lord?  At first, when we were newly saved, just babies in Christ, we wanted to spend every minute with Him. We were attached to His side, always talking to Him and seeking His face.  But as time goes on, we become more independent of Him, believing that we can handle things on our on.  We stay away from Him for days and only talk to Him when we want something.  Until I became a mother, I never really understood how He feels, but I can sure relate now.  My daughter owes me for her very life…but I never look at it that way.  On the Cosby show Bill Cosby used to say “I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!”    We chose to bring our children into this world because we wanted to love them and take care of them.  We wanted their companionship and relationship.  It is the same way with our Father, He chose us.  He put us here for that relationship with Him (and He can definitely take us out)! I owe Jesus my life, but all he truly wants is to have a relationship with me.  He wants to sit and talk and share things with me.  With my daughter, I cherish those moments when she wants to sit and talk with me.  They are very rare and precious.  Now, it is me that wants to take her face and turn it to me to make her listen and focus on what I’m saying.   That is what Jesus is doing, too.  He really wishes He could take our face and turn it to Him.  He is always there, waiting for us to just talk to Him and spend time in His word.  How sad it makes us when our children can’t even acknowledge our existence until they want something or they are in trouble…..think about how Jesus feels.  How much more should I be that loving and thankful daughter towards Him like I want my daughter to be towards me!  So today I ask you to turn to Him and spend time with Him…stop giving Jesus Separation Anxiety!! 

Psalm 27:8 NLT  “My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming."

No comments: