Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Do You Have a Big BUT? Part 3:Start Eating the Right Food


“…people do not live by bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.” - Deuteronomy 8:3 NLT
The second thing that we have to do to get rid of our big BUT is…START EATING THE RIGHT FOOD.  The last couple of weeks, I have been trying to lose weight.  That means changing the way I eat.  “Garbage in, garbage out” is a quote I love.  If I put junk food in my body, my body runs like junk.  But, if I put healthy food in it, I will be healthy.  It is the same thing with our “spiritual” food.

Do we really expect to be able to grow spiritually and minister to others out of what we learn from watching secular TV, reading secular books and listening to secular music?  (Secular = of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal.) Trust me; there is nothing there that would teach us how to be more like Jesus. Most of the television we watch is completely opposite of what the bible teaches.

I’m not saying that you have to cut out all of the “junk”.  Just like on my diet, I still have that ice cream cone if I want it.  But the main part of my diet is healthy food. And I always find that after eating healthy for a few weeks, the junk food just doesn’t taste good anymore.  The same goes for our “spiritual” diet.  After we begin to concentrate on reading God’s word and listening to Christian music or watching Christian TV, when we do watch or read something else, we will most likely find it offensive.Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.” 1Peter 2:2-3 NIV

So to work on that big BUT, you must start eating the right “spiritual” food.  The bible tells us that we must mature and grow so that we can teach others AND be able to differentiate between right and wrong.  “You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God's word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn't know how to do what is right.  Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong.”  Hebrews 5:12-14 NLT


No comments: