Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Hero

What is a hero?  One definition is “a person who displays courage and a will for self sacrifice for the greater good of all humanity.”  I love this description…it describes my hero perfectly. 

Most people have heroes that they don’t really know outside of the television or Internet.  But I have had the privilege of personally knowing my hero all of my life. I have never once been let down by or lost respect for my hero.    

She has many titles: Daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother, friend, Christian…and hero.  If I tried to make a list of her many attributes (which it would never include everything) it might look something like this:  strong, unselfish, humble, peaceful, comforting, patient, kind, forgiving, loving, gentle, protecting, generous, trustworthy, faithful, hopeful, beautiful, nurturing, fun-loving, creative, joyful, courageous, wise, and humorous.

As I started making this list, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities to the scripture:  1 Corinthians 13:4 NIV - Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 

I guess we can see the driving force behind my hero…love.  Because of love, she is able to possess all of the qualities I listed above. The love of Jesus in her shines through her onto everyone around her. That is why she is my hero.  Not because she has a college degree or a high-paying job; not because she drives fancy cars or lives in a mansion; not because she is famous or a politician.   She is my hero because she loves Jesus and she lets Him control her life.  

My hero’s name is Clara Grider Morden Smith.  If you don’t know her, you are missing out!  Today is her birthday, the day God chose to bring her into this world.  She has touched so many lives since she has been here, and I know that she will touch many more before she leaves. 

Happy Birthday to my hero: my precious mother.  I love you so very much and I pray you have the best birthday ever!! 

No comments: