Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Immanuel - God With Us

"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us")."  Matthew 1:23

 
Last Sunday morning our church choir performed a beautiful Christmas musical entitled, "All is Well."  When I awoke on Monday morning, I prayed and asked the Lord to show me what He wanted me to write about for Christmas.  Suddenly I couldn't stop hearing parts of that musical in my head...the words repeated over and over, "Immanuel, God with us.  Immanuel, God with us."  So that is what you needed...I think I need a reminder, too!

Out of the hundreds of names used in the bible to describe Jesus, I believe that Immanuel (or Emmanuel) is my favorite.  To me, it is a reminder that Jesus came to this earth in human form, not just to die for us, but also to live a life here on this earth so that He could understand us better.  He put on an "earth suit" so that He could feel what we feel, see what we see and  experience  everything that we go through. He was filled with happiness, peace, love and joy.  But at times He was also hungry, thirsty, broken, homeless, poor, lonely and rejected.
  He went through it all. 

Hebrews 2:17-18 NIV   "For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."

His life here on this earth gave him the ability to have greater mercy and empathy for us when He returned to Heaven as our intercessor at the right hand of the Father.

But even more wonderful is the fact that Jesus not only came to this earth to understand us better and give His life for us, He also left us with a precious piece of Himself - the Holy Spirit.  That Spirit is here for all who wish to receive Him into our hearts.

John 14: 15-17 "If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever-- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." 

Not just WITH YOU, IN YOU! 
I told you it was wonderful!!
So what does this mean to you?

You may be alone, but you don't have to be lonely - God is with you.
You may be broke, but you don't have to be broken - God is with you.
You may be facing fear, but you don't have to be afraid - God is with you.
  You may be lost, but you have a Savior waiting with open arms to rescue you - God is with you.

I pray that each and every one of us can grasp this concept this Christmas season.  Immanuel...God With Us, God IN Us.   

John 1:1, 14 NIV "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."