Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Do You Have a Big BUT??

As Christians, how often do we use the phrase: “I would do that,  BUT _____________”(fill in the blank).  Today I want you to take a look at your BUT!!    What is it that is holding you back from what God is calling you to do?  Some excuses I have heard in the past are: I would help people, BUT I don’t have any extra money.  I would witness, BUT I’m not good at talking to people. I would work at Bible School, BUT I just don’t have time.  I would sing at church, BUT I can’t get up in front of people. I would go to church on Wednesday night, BUT I’m just too tired…and the list goes on and on.  
  

Even great people in the Bible had some big BUTS.  Look at Moses in Exodus 4, when God first told him what He wanted him to do to free the Israelites.  Moses basically said, “I would go, BUT I really can’t talk very good.  Please send someone else to do it!”  And Jonah, when God told him what He wanted him to do the scripture says, “BUT Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish” Jonah 1:3.   And Sarah, when the angel told Abraham that she would have a son, laughed and said, “BUT I’m too old!”
The angel’s reply was, “Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son" Genesis .

Guess what?  Satan LOVES those big BUTS!  He probably sings that song, “I like big BUTS and I cannot lie.”  He knows he has us right where he wants us when we are not being obedient and doing what God is calling us to do. 


How do we get rid of our big BUTS?  The same way we get rid of our big BUTTS!  When we want to lose weight or re-shape our back sides, we 1) get up off the couch, 2) start eating right, and 3) begin to exercise.  We need to do the same things to get rid of our BUTS!  Over the next few days we are going to look at these three remedies for getting rid of our big BUTS!   Hope you join me!!

No comments: