Scripture Lookup

Scripture Lookup (Reference or key words)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Passover 4/18/11

When I looked on my calendar this morning, it said “Passover begins at sundown.” Immediately I start singing “when I see the blood, when I see the blood, when I see the blood, I will pass, I will pass over you.”  Then I decided to refresh my memory of what the true meaning of Passover is.

The story of the Passover is found in Exodus 11 and 12.  It was the time in Israel’s history when the angel of the Lord moved through Egypt destroying the firstborn of all people and animals. This was the last of the ten plagues God put upon Egypt causing Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave the country and their captivity.

God told Moses to have every Israelite household kill a male lamb, one without defect, and place the blood on the sides and tops of the door frames of the house.   When the angel of death passed over and saw the blood, that household would be spared.

This was a foreshadowing of what Jesus, the spotless lamb, was going to do for us. His blood would cover the sins of those who believe in Him, causing God’s judgment to pass over them.

Are our doorposts covered with the blood of the Lamb?   “Christ our Redeemer died on the cross, died for the sinner, paid all his due; all who receive Him need never fear, yes, He will pass, will pass over you.”      

No comments: